This space is for all those who knew Lesley to share memories, stories, and tributes to her life and her spirit. To add your posting, email text directly to the blog at clifgold.lesley@blogger.com. (Put title in email subject line). Email photographs to clifgold@hotmail.com

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Remembering Lesley Chapman

I was deeply distressed to read the sad news of Lesley Chapman's death. I admired Lesley, she was a bright light to me. I met her at Temple B'nai Brith where I attended her Torah study sessions -- I never missed a session. I love studying Torah and Lesley's take on the the sacred texts was creative and inspired, thought provoking and exciting. I also attended a few plays at the Elizabeth Peabody House in Somerville where her theatre troop resided. I expected she would be a great director and she certainly was. One particular play, I think it was called Manifest, was terrific -- one of my best experiences in the theatre! Lesley asked me to be on the board of the theatre but I didn't have the time so I declined.

Over the years I lost track of Lesley but I ran into her again this past winter at Kolbo where she was working at the time. I heard a voice calling my name and there she was. We hugged warmly and then stood around talking about our lives. I would have never expected from our conversation that she was suffering or depressed in any way. I'm sure we spoke of financial difficulties -- I would have brought that up -- it's most difficult being an artist in these times -- but I don't remember her responding in a way that was all that different from my own experience. 

I learned the sad news about Lesley on Monday from the Temple B'nai Brith listserv. Since then I've cycled through a range of strong emotions, at first weeping which turned to anger at Lesley for making such a choice. Now I am angry at my world/society for not valuing such a creative spirit with so much to offer and for making it so difficult for such a soul to thrive and prosper. 

For me Lesley was a beacon. From what others have written I learned Lesley taught Torah to 4th graders and she used her acting techniques in her teaching. I wish I had known that. Being a 4th grade Torah teacher who also uses drama techniques I would have loved to share notes/ideas with Lesley. I'm sure she would have been a great inspiration to me.

Good-bye my dear Leslie Chapman. I will miss you. I am so grateful I got to know you and spend time in your light.

Jane Sherrill

Jane Sherrill
Visual Artist
20 Vernon St., 6-West
Somerville MA 02145
617.800.6435



No comments: